IRC Network

Discussion in 'The Notice Board' started by Elf, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Elf

Elf Immortal Staff Member

Network Information
    Our official IRC network is NerdNet.

You can connect to:
    • Host: irc.nerdnet.com
    • Non-SSL ports: 6665 through 6669
    • SSL ports: 6697, 7000
    Resources
    IRC guides
    • IRC Help -- comprehensive new user guide to IRC

IRC Clients
    IRC Services
    NerdNet has a set of "IRC Services" built into the network:
    • NickServ (/nickserv help or /msg [email protected] help) -- provides nickname registration and ownership
    • ChanServ (/chanserv help or /msg [email protected] help) -- provides channel registration and ownership
    • MemoServ (/memoserv help or /msg [email protected] help) -- provides a way to send memos (messages) to offline registered user
    • Some other services you can discover: GameServ, BotServ, HostServ
    Modes
    Modes are attributes that you can set and unset on yourself (/mode <YourName> +<mode> or /mode <YourName> -<mode>), or on a channel (/mode #<Channel> +<mode> or /mode #<Channel> -<mode>).

Here is a list of some modes you might find interesting:
    • User modes
      • +g -- Caller ID: Blocks messages from all users except those you have added via /accept. If a user not on your accept list tries to talk to you, a rate limited messages will be sent saying that they wish to speak.
      • +i -- Invisible: Your nickname does not show up when listing all the users on the network or server.
      • +R -- Reject messages from unauthenticated users. You will only receive private messages and notices from users who have registered with NickServ.
      • +x -- Host mask: Obscures your host name or IP information to help with privacy concerns.
    • Channel modes
      • +b <mask> -- Ban: Ban users from the channel based on their [email protected] mask, with * and ? wildcards permitted. Extended bans are also available. This does not kick the user immediately but will prevent them from speaking. If you want to evict the user from the channel, you must use /kick as well.
      • +c -- Color filters: Users will not be able to send colored text to the channel.
      • +e <mask> -- Ban exemption: Exempt users from the channel ban list, following the same syntax as +b.
      • +f #<channel> -- Forward: If users can not join this channel (due to +i, +I, +j, +r, etc.), they are forwarded to another channel as specified.
      • +F -- Allow any forwards: Allows anyone to forward another channel to this channel. Otherwise they must be an operator in this channel as well.
      • +g -- Allow any to invite: Allows anyone to invite people to this channel; otherwise they must be an operator.
      • +i -- Invite only: Only allows users who receive an /invite to join.
      • +I <mask> -- Invite exception: Users who match the mask provided (same syntax as +b) are allowed into a +i channel without an invitation.
      • +j <n>:<t> -- Join throttling: Only n users may join per each t seconds, except for invited users.
      • +k <password> -- Key: Channels require a key (password) to join (e.g. /join #channel password)
      • +l <n> -- User limit: Only n users are able to join the channel, except for invited users.
      • +m -- Moderated: Only op (@ / +o) and voice (+ / +v) users may talk in the channel.
      • +n -- No external messages: Users can not message the channel from outside, without joining it.
      • +o <nick> -- Operator: Give someone operator status in the channel for kicks, bans, etc.
      • +p -- Paranoid: Disallows /knock requests for invitations, and users will not be shown the channel in /whois unless they are in it.
      • +q <mask> -- Quiet: Allows users matching the mask to join the channel, but they may not speak in it.
      • +Q -- No forwarding: Prevents users from being forwarded to this channel.
      • +r -- Only registered users: Only users who have registered and identified with NickServ can join.
      • +s -- Secret: The channel does not show in general listings (list, who, whois) to users who are not on it.
      • +t -- Topic limit: Only channel operators can change the topic. Otherwise, anyone can.
      • +v <nick> -- Voice: Allows a user to talk in a +m moderated channel, and bypasses +q quiet mask matching or +b bans which may prevent the user from speaking.
      • +z -- Reduced moderation: For +m, +b, and +q modes messages that would otherwise be prohibited from being sent are instead sent to the channel operators. This can be used to run moderated debates.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    Tigers likes this.